How you speak to yourself matters!

 Hi everyone,


Long time no see! I had to jump back into this blog and write this update as it has really helped my mental health!

I was inspired by Youtuber Alivia last night. Specifically this video. She posted a video talking about how important it is to realise how we speak to ourselves. The video is part of Victoria Secret's 'I am Enough' campaign. 



Photo credit: Alivia D'Andrea on Twitter

This might sound like a typical ad campaign from a fashion brand and at first I was skeptical about how this positive message was coming from a company that appears to be all about image. Have you seen the Victoria Secret fashion show? Those girls are not the typical body shape or size and have led me to feel pretty insecure about my stomach, hair skin, you name it! Which I get it also totally unfair to all the models that work really hard to create that body shape through exercise/diet/genetics. So how could this message really apply to someone normal like me?

Well, her video and the VS message has really helped me shift the way I've been thinking. I would never talk to a friend the way I've been speaking to myself. Here are a few phrases I've been stuck repeating without even realising it... Then the ways Alivia has shown me how to rephrase these ideas.

My stomach will never be flat ...... You are exercising to have a flatter stomach and feel better in yourself, this is making progress and you should be proud of yourself for improving!

My nails look disgusting ...... I've stopped biting my nails and the polish is chipped, big deal! Enjoy re-painting them, you will feel more put together.

I should wake up earlier, I'm so useless ......You are allowed to sleep, especially if you have not been feeling well. I know you can set the alarm and wake up earlier tomorrow. I think I will make a really nice coffee tomorrow morning.

It may seem like a small change, or a big one depending on where mentally you are. But if you have a bit of time, check out her video. I really hope it helps!


xxx


Comments

Popular Posts